In 1799 hunter started to build a house 500 yards away from the castle and this was to become the main mansion house of the hunter family.  It took 7 years to build and it comprised of only 3 floors however in 1902 an additional floor was added.

When the house was first constructed the servant quarters did not exist they were added several years later.

Although Hunterston House is its official name it is also commonly known as the Big Hoose or Mansion House.

The electrical system of the house was and still is 110v which was common in Victorian times, however some parts now has the more modern 240v system as the 110v system is no longer supported or reparable in the 21st century.  Each room is named after a town or area visible from that specific room.
Visitors since May 2012